What will happen during a treatment?
A reflexology treatment during pregnancy will last no more than 30 minutes.
Before the treatment I will go through your general and obstetric history with you and gain your consent for treatment. Please inform your midwife or obstetrician should you wish to receive any complimentary therapy including reflexology. Reflexology will be carried out on bare feet. No oils are used in reflex zone therapy. The treatment will be carried out while you relax in a reclining chair. Most people find the treatment soothing, though occasionally some discomfort may be felt. After the session I will go through aftercare advice and discuss any further treatments if need be. Please allow 1 hour for the session.
Can I have reflexology?
A full consultation will be completed at your first visit to ensure that reflexology is right for you, as there are certain conditions where reflexology should be avoided. Always inform your midwife or other healthcare provider if you are having reflexology during pregnancy.
Reflexology is not recommended in pregnancies with:
• Cardiac, renal or Liver disease
• Obstetric Cholestasis
• Pre existing insulin dependent diabetic mellitus
• Severe asthma or other respiratory conditions
• Pre existing thyroid disorders
• Deep vein thrombosis or any existing coagulation disorders.
• Transverse, oblique or unstable lie
• Placenta praevia
• Recent or current antepartum haemorrhage
• Hypertension with diastolic > 90 mmHg
• Poly or oligohydramnios
• Multiple pregnancy